We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Australia’s classrooms, campuses and communities as soon as we can, and careful planning is continuing in preparation for your safe arrival.
Even though the global COVID-19 pandemic makes travel difficult right now, Australia’s strong public health response means we will be able to offer you a COVID-safe on-campus study experience, in line with Australian public health advice, as soon as conditions allow.
Australian states and territories are working directly with education providers to develop plans to welcome you back. The Northern Territory and South Australia will be the first jurisdictions in Australia to start small trial reopening programs.
Despite the current travel restrictions, the Australian Government has recommenced granting student visas.
- If you are a new student, please first enrol at an education institution and then apply for a student visa, so that you are ready to travel to Australia when it is possible.
- If you already hold a student visa and you are currently located in your home country, you may wish to consider continuing or commencing your studies online. Australian education providers offer a range of online learning and study load options – please refer to your education institution for further details.
- Please remember that if you do already hold a student visa, online study done outside of Australia due to COVID-19 can count towards the Australian study requirement for a post-study work visa.
- If you have already commenced studying online and do not have a student visa, we encourage you to apply for a student visa now, so that when borders re-open you can travel to Australia to continue your studies here.
- It is important you are able to financially support yourself throughout your studies during your time in Australia. As a guide to calculate your living costs while living and studying in Australia, we recommend you consult www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/English/Live-in-Australia/living-costs
- If you are already located in Australia, health and wellbeing support is available to all international students through education providers, government and community services. For further information, please visit www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/english/study-in-australia-student-support/health-and-wellbeing/health
- We encourage you to stay in contact with your education provider to seek information and updates, and to continue to visit this website for national updates: www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/English/student-support
- We recognise that this is a really challenging time for you, particularly when you and your family have made significant sacrifices for you to take up a world-class education in Australia.
- Australia prides itself on being a safe, welcoming and multicultural country and we really look forward to welcoming you back as soon as possible.