Employee protection laws

Australia has a strong system of laws and regulations which protect the rights of all workers - including international students who work part-time.

Australia's workplace laws and regulations protect the rights of all workers, including international students working part-time on a student visa. These laws are designed to ensure you:

  • are paid at least the minimum wage and superannuation;
  • are protected against unfair dismissal;
  • are entitled to leave, breaks and rest periods;
  • and have a safe and healthy work environment.

Find out more about the role of the Australian Government's Fair Work Ombudsman in helping protect your rights.

Things you should know

All workers in Australia are covered by the following laws, even those on a temporary visa.

  • Tax File Number: You need a Tax File Number (TFN) to work in Australia. Apply at the Australian Taxation Office.
  • Superannuation: As a temporary resident working in Australia, your employer must, by law, make superannuation contributions for you if you are eligible. When leaving Australia, you may be able to get back your superannuation payment (DASP) if you meet the requirements. Find out more at the Australian Taxation Office.
  • Workers' Compensation: Australian law means your employer must have insurance which protects you in case you are hurt or get sick at work. If this happens, the insurance (called Workers' Compensation) may pay for your medical treatment or your wages until you can work again.

Rate this page

  • Rate as Helpful20 Helpful votes
  • Rate as Not helpful6 Not helpful votes

More resources

Education agents

If you need assistance with visas, institution applications or living arrangements, an education agent can help. Read about choosing a suitable agent.

Facts about studying with Australia

Study with Australia. It's a fantastic way to further your education and boost your career prospects.

Entry requirements

There are some entry requirements to consider before you can study in Australia.