21 July 2020
On 20 July the Australian Government announced a number of changes to student visa arrangements to support international students.
The changes are:
- The Government will recommence granting student visas in all locations lodged outside Australia. This means when borders re-open, students will already have visas and be able to make arrangements to travel.
- Eligibility requirements for a post-study work visa (Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) will be relaxed for applicants who are enrolled with an Australian education provider and have been impacted by COVID-19 and associated travel restrictions. Under these arrangements:
- Existing and new student visa holders who undertake online study outside Australia because of COVID 19 will be able to count this towards the Australian Study Requirement.
- Eligible graduates affected by travel restrictions will also be able to apply for and be granted a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa outside Australia.
- Additional time will be given for applicants to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services. Additional time will also be provided to undertake biometric collection and health checks where COVID-19 has disrupted access to services
Australia prides itself on being a welcoming nation with a world-class
education system and some of the lowest rates of COVID-19 in the world.
These changes will help give international students confidence in their
visa arrangements so that they can make plans to study in Australia when it
is safe to do so.
We are here to help you make informed decisions about studying and living
in Australia. No matter where you are in Australia or around the world, we
are all #InThisTogether.
We encourage international students to visit the Department of Home Affairs website for visa updates and http://australia.gov.au for the latest news, updates and advice from government agencies across
Australia (English and in-language).
Know where to go for the right information.
1. Download the Australian Government’s "Coronavirus Australia" app for the latest official advice and real-time updates directly to your mobile phone. It is available via the Apple App Store, Google Play, or via a WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.
Whether you're in Australia or abroad, follow us at @StudyAUOfficial
for the most up to date information.
3. If you are concerned about your enrolment, fees or other issues related to your studies, contact the Australian Government dedicated email email@example.com or hotline for international students 1300 981 621 (8am to 8pm AEDST Monday to Friday - calls within Australia only).