Safety at home is important, no matter where you live. Here are some tips to help keep you and your home safe.
- Always keep your doors locked – both when you are home and when you go out.
- Lock windows when you go out, or in rooms you are not in while at home.
- Do not let strangers into your house.
- Be careful of the information you give out to strangers through the internet, on social networking sites, or over the phone. If you are not at home or go on holidays do not make this information available to strangers.
- Smoke alarms will alert you to smoke on the property, so don't remove the batteries or tamper with them. If you live in a rental property, hostel or hotel it's the law to have smoke alarms fitted. If your property doesn't have them, talk to your landlord or real estate agent.
- If you come home to find evidence of a break in (broken window or door lock), contact the police from a safe location.