Study abroad scholarships for Australia
Below you will find a list of study abroad scholarships open to American students from government sources, non-profit organisations and foundations.
Australian University Scholarships
Australian universities offer a range of scholarships to international students. Ask the university you plan on attending for more information about Australian scholarships that may be suitable for you or search for a study abroad scholarship in the search sidebar.
JASON is a postgraduate search engine for Australian scholarships. Scholarships apply to international students wishing to study in Australia at the graduate level.
The Australia Awards aim to promote knowledge, education links, and enduring ties between Australia and our neighbours through Australia's extensive study abroad scholarship programs:
- Endeavour Awards – The Endeavour Awards is the Australian Government’s internationally competitive, merit-based scholarship program providing opportunities for citizens of the Asia-Pacific, Middle East, Europe and the Americas to undertake study, research or professional development in Australia. Awards are also available for Australians to do the same abroad.
- Australian Leadership Awards (ALA) – focus on developing leaders who can influence social and economic policy reform and development outcomes in both their own countries and in the Asia-Pacific region. ALAs provide scholarship support for postgraduate studies in Australia and short-term fellowship opportunities in specialised research, study or professional attachments through participating Australian organisations.
- Australian Development Scholarships (ADS) – aim to contribute to the long-term development needs of Australia's partner countries to promote good governance, economic growth and human development. ADS provides people with the necessary skills and knowledge to drive change and influence the development outcomes of their own country, through obtaining tertiary qualifications at participating Australian institutions.
The 2014 Fulbright ANU College of Business and Economics Postgraduate Scholarship - sponsored by the Australian National University College of Business and Economics: To undertake a study or research program in Australia with the ANU College of Business and Economics. The scholarship is valued at up to $A40,000. Applications in the US for the 2014 Fulbright Postgraduate Scholarships open 1 May and close 17 October 2013.
The Fulbright CSIRO Postgraduate Scholarship, a partnership of the Australian Fulbright Commission and the CSIRO National Research Flagship program, supports an American citizen to undertake a 8 to 12 months postgraduate research program in Australia. The scholarship is valued at A$40,000. Applications close in the US in October.
US and other Funding Sources
Many international and charitable organisations offer scholarships for international study. You must apply for these scholarships in your home country, not in Australia:
- The Association of Commonwealth Universities - This website provides a scholarships guide for Commonwealth postgraduate students offered by governments, Rotary International, World Bank, World Health Organization, Asian Development Bank, United Nations, Rockefeller Foundation, and other organisations.
- Institute for International Education (IIE) - Describes IIE administered fellowships available to US graduate students wishing to study and/or conduct research abroad.
- Fulbright Scholarship - US Student Loan Program - The largest US international exchange program offering opportunities for students, scholars and professionals to undertake international graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools worldwide.
- Anne Wexler Australian-American Public Policy Scholarships - Funded through the Government of Australia's Australia Awards program, the Anne Wexler scholarships provide funding for Americans to study for a master's program in public policy in Australia.
- The Explorers Club Exploration Fund - Supports graduate study abroad students in exploration and field research. Open to graduate students only.
- Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships - Designed to encourage original and significant study of ethical or religious values in all fields. Open to graduate students only.
- Washington University James Harrison Steedman Memorial Fellowships in Architecture - Provides assistance to architecture graduates, regardless of age, to travel and study architecture abroad.
- US Department of Education, Jacob K. Javits Fellowships - Provides financial assistance to students of superior ability in the fields of the arts, humanities, and social sciences. Open to graduate students only.
- American Australian Association - The American Australian Association Education Fund awards individual fellowships of up to $US25,000 each year in its USA to Australia Program. With this Australian scholarship, the Association encourages intellectual interchange and the fellowships are intended to build on the strong social and economic partnership between Australia and the United States.
- Arts International Lila Wallace – Readers Digest International Artists - Provides funding for visual artists for international residencies. Open to all levels.
- Population Council Fellowships in the Social Sciences - Supports the advanced training studies or study plans in population in order to contribute to meeting the needs of the population field by processing high-level scientific and technical skills.
- International Education Financial Aid (IEFA) - IEFA is a resource for financial aid, scholarship, and grant information for US and international students wishing to study abroad.
- IIE Passport - IIE manages a database of study abroad scholarships, fellowships and grants. The IIE Passport Study Abroad website allows students to search by country or field of study.
- Rotary Foundation - The purpose of the Ambassadorial Scholarship program is to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries. The program sponsors several types of scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students, as well as for qualified professionals pursuing vocational studies.
- Gilman International Scholarship Program - This program seeks to lower the barriers to undergraduate study abroad by offering scholarships to students with financial need. The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship program is sponsored by the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education. The award is up to $US5,000 for semester or academic programs.
- American Institute for Foreign Study - AIFS annually awards more than $US250,000 in scholarships to students who demonstrate high academic achievement, or students who demonstrate financial need.
- Hispanic Study Abroad Scholars - This program aims to address the causes of the gap in US study abroad demographics and provides scholarships for Hispanic students.
- Diversity Abroad Study Abroad Scholarships - In partnership with Globalinks Learning Abroad and The Foundation for Asia Pacific Education, Diversity Abroad will offer $A1,000 scholarships for undergraduate students to study abroad in the Asia/Pacific region during summer, fall and spring terms. This program is aimed at increasing non-traditional students participation in education abroad in the Asia/Pacific region.
- FinAid - Information about financial aid for study abroad and exchange programs.
- Scholarships.com - This site offers a free college scholarship search, as well as information on scholarships, grants, and financial aid opportunities.
- East Asia and Pacific Summer Institutes for US Graduate Students - The primary goals of EAPSI are to introduce students to East Asia and Pacific science and engineering in the context of a research setting, and to help students initiate scientific relationships that will better enable future collaboration with foreign counterparts. Other scholarship opportunities from the National Science Foundation.
- Australian-American Health Policy Fellowship - The Australian-American Health Policy Fellowship offers a unique opportunity for outstanding, mid-career U.S. professionals—academics, government officials, clinical leaders, decision-makers in managed care and other private health care organizations, and journalists—to spend up to 10 months in Australia conducting research and working with leading Australian health policy experts on issues relevant to both countries.
- Scholarshipdb.net - Free and comprehensive scholarship database from various sources including universities and research organisations. Scholarships can be searched by program (coursework, research, undergraduate, postgraduate, PhD), by field (agriculture, science, technology, etc.) or by countries. About 10,000 scholarships are available for Australia.
Last updated: Monday, 17 June 2013 7:58:56 AM